The paper towel mask is intended to be disposable. It helps in spread of germs to others by minimizing the droplets from mouth or nose when a person cough, sneeze or speak. The CDC has recommended to wear mask or something that covers your face while going out to buy something or for any essential business.
These strange and unsettling times of corona virus are fearful for everyone. It is something that none of us have experienced before. But we all want to keep our family, near and dear ones safe, and one thing that can help us is wearing a face mask. As we all know that there is shortage of face mask at local stores and pharmacies, so we can make a paper towel mask at home. These masks may be not as good as medical ones, but can keep viruses and bacteria at bay while going for a short trip of buying essential items for home.
Things needed to make mask:
- Paper towel (2 ply, about 6 inches X 11 inches)
- Rubber bands
Steps to make paper towel mask:
- If your paper towel is thin, then you can use two of them. Lay them one on top of other before fan folding them together.
- Using a paper towel, lay it in a horizontal way. Fan fold it, making the folds ½ to ¾ of an inch each.
- Make sure that top and bottom fold are both folded in the same direction so the mask will cover the face from top of your nose to just under your chin.
- Keeping the fan folded, place a rubber band at one end.
- Fold the end of the fan over the rubber band in a way that it can allow a stapler. Then staple the paper towel in place. Try not to staple the rubber band.
- Repeat at the other end of the fan.
- The paper towel mask is finished. Open it and put it on with the paper towel edges against your face.
- Wrap the rubber bands around the ears.
After using this mask, throw away the paper towel mask, but save the rubber bands.